Researchers and Individuals
Last Reviewed: 28/03/2014


The Department of Industry is not currently accepting or processing applications or requests for funding extensions for Commercialisation Australia, while the Government is reviewing funding arrangements ahead of the Federal Budget in May 2014.

Applicants enquiring about the program can contact the Commercialisation Australia Hotline on 13 22 56 or



To apply for Commercialisation Australia assistance, researchers and individuals have three options:

  • establish a non-tax exempt company, incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001, prior to making an application
  • apply as an individual (or researcher) warranting to form such a company if an application is successful
  • apply through a commercialisation office or an eligible partner entity

If you establish a company (either before or after applying for assistance) then:

  • you may apply for any of the four components of Commercialisation Australia
  • the funding agreement will be between your company and the Commonwealth

If you apply through a commercialisation office or an eligible partner entity then:

  • you may apply for the Skills and Knowledge and Proof of Concept components only
  • the funding agreement will be between you, the Commonwealth, and the commercialisation office or eligible partner entity through which you have applied

Commercialisation Offices

Most universities and research organisations have a commercialisation office which assists researchers in commercialising their research. 

The commercialisation offices of Australian universities and Publicly Funded Research Agencies (PFRA) do not need to register with Commercialisation Australia prior to an application for assistance. Please refer to the Customer Information Guide for more information.

The commercialisation offices of other universities and research organisations need to apply to Commercialisation Australia to be approved as an eligible partner entity before an application for assistance can be lodged.

Eligible Partner Entities 

If you cannot apply through the commercialisation office of an Australian university or PFRA, you may be able to apply through an eligible partner entity.

An eligible partner entity is a body corporate or an entity within a body corporate whose primary purpose is to provide assistance in commercialising ideas or research. An example of an eligible partner entity could be the commercialisation office of a research organisation that does not meet the definition of a PFRA. Click here to view the list of current eligible partner entities of Commercialisation Australia.

Organisations outside the research space could also apply to be registered as eligible partner entities if they support individuals in commercialising their ideas. For example, a business incubator could qualify as an eligible partner entity if it supports individuals. And industry association (or entity within an industry association) could be suitable as an eligible partner entity if it provides commercialisation advice to individuals.

To qualify as an eligible partner entity, the organisation must:

  • be based in Australia
  • be financially viable
  • have a primary purpose to assist individuals or companies in commercialising ideas or research
  • assist (or aim to assist) multiple clients
  • have regard to the policy objectives of Commercialisation Australia and be able to operate within the spirit of the program
  • declare any conflicts of interest with potential program participants
  • comply with the Equal Opportunities for Women in the Workplace Act 1999.

Organisations seeking registration as an eligible partner entity need to complete an application form which will be assessed by the CEO of Commercialisation Australia against the above criteria. The CEO may seek the advice of the Commercialisation Australia Board before making a decision. Approved eligible partner entities will be notified by the CEO and their contact details will be published on the Commercialisation Australia website.

Organisations seeking to register as an eligible partner entity should email for more information.

For more details on what is required to apply for registration, please review the SAMPLE Eligible Partner Entity Application Form:


 CA Eligible Partner Entity Application Form_Feb 2014.pdfSAMPLE Eligible Partner Entity Application Form [PDF 147 KB]


What is Expected of Commercialisation Offices and Eligible Partner Entities

Commercialisation offices and eligible partner entities are expected to be an important source of guidance and advice for researchers and individuals seeking to commercialise their IP.  This includes:

  • clarifying or resolving and IP issues between the researcher and research organisation prior to making an application
  • exploring all internal avenues of financing commercialisation projects, where appropriate, before making an application
  • assisting with matching funding or introduction to potential sources of matching funding
  • providing commercialisation advice to researchers or individuals who may or may not have successfully applied for Commercialisation Australia assistance
  • gaining further commercialisation skills and knowledge through the experiences of successful applicants and their interactions with Case Managers and the Expert Network
  • assisting Commercialisation Australia in regularly collecting data to measure the short and long term impact of the Commercialisation Australia program and to inform future initiatives to support innovation and commercialisation.

Do they get paid by Commercialisation Australia?

Commercialisation offices and eligible partner entities do not receive payment from Commercialisation Australia to fulfil this role. Commercialisation Australia funding is only provided to complete agreed activities in relation to the commercialisation projects of a successful applicant. Note that an individual or researcher who has successfully applied for the Skills and Knowledge component through a commercialisation office or eligible partner entity cannot use the grant to purchase specialist advice from that commercialisation office or eligible partner entity.